Tapology Forums

Ever gone from disliking to liking a fighter?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

05.28.2015 | 11:18 AM ET

have you ever gone from liking to disliking a fighter or vice versa?

I used to not be a fan of Bendo but he then grew on me as he would fight multiple times a year and would step up and fight instead of excuses..  I used to root agianst him every time he fought.

I used to like CC way back but then he started to annoy me the way he showed no respect in some of his Pride fight interviews.  If you watched his pre-fight interviews, you would know what I mean.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Responses

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 228

05.28.2015 | 1:30 PM ET

Seems like every time I start to dislike Bisping, his post fight interviews win me back over. Also, DC coming off as petty after bragging about winning the belt and then calling out Jones, who dominated him a few months before, irks me and as a result, might possibly have me rooting for Jones next time out. I'm certainly no fan of Jones, but DC is acting like a *********, in my opinion.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.28.2015 | 1:43 PM ET

Fighters I used to hate/dislike but now don't...

-I had nothing but utter contempt for Michael Bisping, from all the ******** he's pulled over the years from when he was on TUF, to acting like he won against Hamill then telling him to go back to wrestling, to spitting on Rivera's corner and in my opinion intentionally kneeing him etc. But now I just find him to be a cheeky, whimsical and funny bastard.

-While I didn't really dislike Travis Browne, he would sometimes come off as a whiner and gave a litany of excuses for his losses. But seeing him handle his loss to Andrei with class was cool to see from him. Plus the fight with Andrei was badass so I forgive him for the Kongo fight.

-I used to really dislike Rashad Evans, especially around the time he was champion, he had such a ****iness to him in the cage, he used to be unbearable for me becuase he made one of the biggest grudge matches in MMA with Rampage one of the most boring, but like Bisping I just find him to be mostly cool now.

Fighters I used to like but now don't...

-GSP, this is the name that immediately came up. He was such a exciting fighter before he was champion, easily beating everyone (minus Hughes) he fought in dominating fashion, but also in a truly mixed martial arts fashion. But we all know what broke GSP and turned him into the cautious version of himself, Matt Serra and since he got revenge and beat BJ he was largely uninteresting for me to watch anymore.

-I used to like Jon Jones before becoming champion, he was dominating people, doing things no fighters were doing or have before, and was actually humble back in the day, where did that guy go? Then it all went downhill for him after that in terms of redeeming qualities as a person, he started to show his true colors, so **** that, he became the heel.

-Uriah Hall was looking like a guy with real promise and a really humble guy. But since TUF he has turned into a bit of a headcase who either fought too friendly or could not control his anger like against Natal which lost him a fight he should have gotten the win in. He needs a sports psychologist, badly.

* Edited at 05.28.2015, 2:00 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 5 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.28.2015 | 2:02 PM ET

Fighters I disliked and now like:

Bisping

Bendo

Evans

Faber

Fighters I liked and now dislike:

Dan Hendo

Travis Browne

Matt Brown

Chael Sonnen

Jon Jones

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

05.28.2015 | 2:07 PM ET

I used to dislike gsp and Edgar. once i found out GSP had OCD i changed. Edgar has proven over-time he is an overachiever with a lot of heart. i like both fighters now. i now actually want mcgregor to win (vs Aldo)b/c he would have to face a real wrestler in Edgar(first title defense) and Edgar would destroy him.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, and 15 minutes from now.
boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

05.28.2015 | 2:09 PM ET

Bendo won me over with the Thatch fight.

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

joking_joe
joking_joe
  • Predictions:  6,589  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  945
  • Post Score: 393

05.28.2015 | 2:33 PM ET

Fighters I hated and now like:

- Michael Bisping
- Benson Henderson
- Matt Brown 
- Frankie Edgar
- Fabricio Werdum

Fighters I liked and now hate:

- Conor McGregor
- Chael Sonnen
- Vitor Belfort
- Wanderlei Silva
- Jon Jones
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

05.29.2015 | 11:44 PM ET

Seems like a lot of the same fighters.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.30.2015 | 12:15 AM ET

I still don't like Ben Henderson

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

ShogunSLO
ShogunSLO
  • Predictions:  480  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: -233

05.30.2015 | 12:24 AM ET

For me it was Connor :D
jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.30.2015 | 12:31 AM ET

Two fighters that come to my mind that I never liked for the longest time, but grew to become a fan of are GSP and Frankie Edgar. When GSP was new to the sport, I didn't like him at all. He always made excuses for his loss to Matt Hughes in their first fight, then he got the nod for a decision over BJ Penn that I felt Penn won the fight, after that he beats Matt Hughes for the WW title, then loses to Matt Serra, and makes more excuses for that loss. It really got worse for me with GSP, when he fought all of his fights to "not lose." Where it changed for me with him, was when he was out for so long with his knee injury. It was then that I realized, love him or hate him, the UFC WW division NEEDS GSP, because there will never be a true champion until he gets dethroned or officially retires. Then he came back after a long layoff  and fought brilliant fights against Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz. Though his last fight with Johnny Hendricks, I felt Hendricks won, GSP still showed he had heart and skill as an MMA fighter and champion. I would've loved to seen a rematch between GSP and Hendricks, and while the question is still there, "Did GSP really win his last fight.", I still have to give props to GSP as one of the greatest WW fighters, and one of the greatest UFC Champions of all time.

When Edgar first came to the UFC, I couldn't stand him, because I thought all of his fights were boring. Where Edgar really won me over was the 2nd Gray Maynard fight. The way he came back from that beating and near finish in the first round was nothing less than amazing. Edgar proved to me that he really had the true heart of a champion. In fact, I think that he won both his fights with Bendo, so IMHO, Edgar's record should be 20-2-1.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

05.30.2015 | 12:59 AM ET

This whole forum went from disliking the Nomad to liking the Nomad.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

05.30.2015 | 1:02 AM ET

Mcgregor is on and off again hate,
Don't like the powder butt belfort, I respect Josh Koscheck wrestling wise, but that doesn't mean he's not a ******. Used to like Jake Ellenberger now I don't really care. Same thing for Uriah Hall. 
nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

05.30.2015 | 1:03 AM ET

Initially while he was the lightweight champ, Bendo but i got around to liking him more now especially after the Thatch fight. 
4whotsk
4whotsk
  • Predictions:  30,642  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  224
  • Post Score: 261

05.30.2015 | 1:21 AM ET

Disliked/Like
GSP
M.Bisping
Werdum
Anthony johnson
Nick Diaz

"get some!"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.30.2015 | 2:25 AM ET

I'd say Sonnen and Nick Diaz were my greatest transformations. Didn't like either of them before I actually started listening to them, now Iove them both. Rumble Johnson too, wasn't a huge fan but now I really like him. 

Transformations the other way round include Bendo and Jon Jones.

I've noticed that what the fighters say in the less promotional and more introspective interview is usually what gets me on or off board a fighter's bandwagon. If they have some substance and can go deeper than stupid cliches (not necessarily in a super intelligent manner, though I've noticed intelligence in a fighter is something I relate to) I tend to like the guy. If all I get is "better yourself one-liners" and "all glory to god" I'm usually put off a guy.

Also two guys I used to die-hard love and now am pretty put off by are Hendo and Wand, but I give them a free pass since I accept that the same kind of old-man's delusional attitude they have now is also what made them so great so I'm taking the bad with the good and staying somewhat loyal in the grand scheme of things :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  58,567  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

05.30.2015 | 1:57 PM ET

I'm surprised reading through these and seeing how many people went from disliking Edgar to now liking him.  Edgar was the first fighter that came into my head, I couldn't stand him for his fights with BJ (being a huge Penn fan) and was pulling hard for him to lose to Maynard, then that draw was what really solidified my dislike for him.  After the first Bendo fight was when I started liking him, dude has heart like no other and he's definitely one of my favorite fighters now even though he's beaten 3 of my favorite fighters of all time in a row... :)
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.30.2015 | 2:44 PM ET

I think everyone can admit to this. Just to name of few of mine

Frankie Edgar
Travis Browne
Donald Cerrone
Luke Rockhold
Chael Sonnen

Once I figured out Sonnen was doing a character, he was alright. Also doing everything he could to help fix UFC 151 was huge for me. Edgar sold me after he wiped the floor with Swanson. Luke Rockhold and Donald Cerrone were more out of spite for being rivals with Jacare and Benson Henderson, respectively, but now I absolutely love both of them (I still think Jacare won that fight). 

* Edited at 05.30.2015, 2:47 PM ET *

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

05.30.2015 | 3:34 PM ET

Yep I agree with all except Frankie.
OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

05.30.2015 | 3:47 PM ET

From dislike to like:  Dominick Cruz.
From like to dislike:  Daniel Cormier.
Always love him:  Saku.
Always hate him:  *****ping.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,346  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

05.30.2015 | 4:10 PM ET

I can think of very few.  The only two that spring to mind are Wanderlei Silva and Dominick Cruz.  I always liked Wanderlei until he started acting like a fool on TUF Brazil, when I started disliking him a lot. Then running from the drug test just iced it.  I had a mild dislike for Cruz, until he started commentating during his time away for injuries.  He comes across as knowledgeable and has a good way of explaining himself.  Now I like him.

Others I've fluctuated from liking or disliking them less than before, but that's more a matter of degree than flipping over from dislike to like or vice versa.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : New And Improved!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video and photo gallery
  • MMAFighting.com : Kevin Holland explains why he turned down Nick Diaz to fight at UFC 302 instead
  • MMA Mania : Video! ‘Diamond’ Mobbed By Fans On Lafayette Street
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Rankings Update – June 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul reacts to Mike Tyson boxing fight postponement: 'I'm heartbroken'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 preview show: Will Dustin Poirier actually finish his story against Islam Makhachev?
  • Middle Easy : Nick Diaz’s UFC Return At 41 Labeled ‘Much More Dangerous’, Given Chance vs. Gunshy Contender
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Gambling Preview: Can Dustin Poirier pull off the upset against Islam Makhachev?
  • MMA Mania : Tyson Vs. Paul Postponed
  • MMA Junkie : Video: WWE champion Cody Rhodes cuts promo for Dustin Poirier ahead of UFC 302: 'Finish your story'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch WWE champ Cody Rhodes drop ‘Finish Your Story’ promo for Dustin Poirier at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Video! Costa Fails Bizarre Twerk Lesson
  • Middle Easy : UFC 302 Faceoffs: Dustin Poirier’s Final Stand Against Islam Makhachev: ‘The Talk Is Done’
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing fight postponed due to medical advice
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 final faceoffs: Watch Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier’s tense staredown
  • UFC.com : Mickey Gall Is Back And Better Than Ever
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 faceoff video: Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa final staredown for co-main clash
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 faceoff video: Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier meet for final time before title fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul boxing match postponed