Topic: Chael Sonnen

Sonnen inks new contract with the UFC AND ......................................

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.24.2013 | 6:07 AM ET

Chael P. Sonnen is moving back to 185!!!

Sonnen inks new 5-fight contract (+pickup truck?? Probably so he can finally give GSP his back :))) ) AND (this is the best news ever) is going back to 185 after the Shogun fight!

I'm happy to hear that since I have a feeling he wouldn't fair that well against the 205ers, plus now I get the chance to enjoy watching him kick Vitor's ass (which he will) and see him kick Wanderlei's ass (which he will), though I won't be taking too much joy in that.

* Edited at 07.24.2013, 6:10 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Chael Sonnen

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Chael Patrick Sonnen
  • Pro MMA Record: 30-17-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: June 14, 2019 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 205.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: American Top Team Portland
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,091,250 USD
  • Born: Milwaukie, Oregon, United States
  • Fighting out of: West Linn, Oregon
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

07.24.2013 | 11:42 AM ET

I don't think it is the right decision. He is only doing this because he thinks he can beat Belfort and Weidman (and in a good day, and with some luck, he indeed can) but I feel that the correct weight class for him to be in at the moment is Light Heavyweight. It is always nice to see a contender coming back to a division in desperate need of one, but I feel he has outgrown the division. Have you seen any photographs of him in 2013? He is huge right now, he will have to lose many pounds of muscle and still endure a hard weight cut to make the weight. He already looked drained in his last bout against Anderson Silva...

Also, he has always been a fighter who doesn't use reach too much: he gets in your face with his (very) underrated stand-up, lands a few punches, takes you down, and then overpowers you. I don't see how he would phisically benefit from a move back to MW.

By the way, I think he looked great when fighting Jon Jones, although his gameplan sucked... 

EDIT: I wonder how he will do against Shogun. It will be nice to finally see him against someone who isn't a cyborg.

* Edited at 07.24.2013, 11:47 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

NoJuice11
NoJuice11
  • Predictions:  8,305  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,544
  • Post Score: 208

07.24.2013 | 11:57 AM ET

Shoguns getting old but hes still a ******* beast, sonnens gonna gonna have trouble with him, I wouldn't be worrying about his future, id be more concerned Shogun doesn't catch him and put him to sleep.

"Dude everyone knows Shaq got rich off playing in college"-Baseketball

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Postponed Following Boxing Legend’s Health Condition
  • MMA Junkie : From Las Vegas brawl to UFC 302: How Ailin Perez vs. Joselyne Edwards grew into a heated grudge match
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier live stream watch party
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Wilder Vs. Zhang Results, Streaming Updates
  • Middle Easy : Video: Kayla Harrison Slams Alex Pereira Hard To The Mat With Powerful Judo Throw
  • MMAFighting.com : Paulo Costa believes impressive UFC 302 performance can vault him to title shot
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mom Doesn’t Want Me To KO You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • Middle Easy : ‘Proud Dad’ Conor McGregor Shares Video Of Son Conor Jr. Earning First BJJ Stripe In Ireland
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown explains what Dustin Poirier needs to do to beat Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez confident Dustin Poirier's guillotine won't work on Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 start time, fight card, TV schedule for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa
  • MMA Mania : Zhang Vs. Wilder Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 predictions: Five blowout picks in Newark, but are upsets looming?
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Lightweight’s Greatest Brawler Takes A Final Swipe At UFC Gold