Topic: Marcus Davis

Exclusive: Fighting Future with Marcus Davis, Part 1

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.08.2011 | 5:46 AM ET

Check out the blog this morning for Part 1 of an exclusive special feature on the future of former UFC welterweight Marcus Davis's new career at 155.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

"The Irish Hand Grenade" Marcus Davis

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Marcus Paul Davis
  • Pro MMA Record: 23-11-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Irish Hand Grenade
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: November 19, 2021 in PFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Sityodtong Boston
  • Height: 5'8" (173cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $324,000 USD
  • Born: Houlton, Maine, United States
  • Fighting out of: Bangor, Maine
  • Head Coach: Mark DellaGrotte
  • Other Coaches: N/A
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.08.2011 | 6:36 AM ET

Glad to read that Marcus is this upbeat about what's happened with his career. I think he'll be back in the UFC one more time and hopefully retire there. He's a great person, puts on exciting fights, and will KO a few dudes to make it back to the big show.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.08.2011 | 7:21 AM ET

Man, Marcus Davis has been one of my hands down favourite fighters to watch for years now.  It's been frustrating watching him get knocked out like he has been by Saunders and then Stephens.  He's always had such a granite chin which allowed him to put on so many exciting fights.  He looked really good in his debut at lightweight up until he got caught.  I'm hoping that Stephens' punch was just a great punch more than it was Marcus' chin starting to fade.  Definitely looking forward to seeing Marcus continue to fight on HDNet!

Nice interview, looking forward to part 2.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

skelliher
skelliher

03.08.2011 | 8:53 AM ET

Yeah I remember being very impressed with Davis throughout the Stephens fight up until the unfortunate ending. That said, it's not like he has a glass jaw all of a sudden. Stephens probably has the most one-punch KO power in the lightweight division, perhaps internationally, and Saunders is a huge WW who got Davis in a devastating Thai clinch.

bklettke
bklettke

03.08.2011 | 9:00 AM ET

Not to mention this isn't the first opponent Stephens has come from behind to KO, he was being totally owned in that fight...... I'm still shocked that Marcus was cut, but i'm confident he'll fight his way back.

skelliher
skelliher

03.08.2011 | 10:24 AM ET

Yeah I remember a fight from UFC 91. It was Jeremy Stephens vs. Raphael dos Anjos and I thought dos Anjos was winning until Stephens blasted him into oblivion in the third round. One of the greatest knockouts in MMA history, IMO.

bklettke
bklettke

03.08.2011 | 10:31 AM ET

Agreed, that was a NASTY uppercut that literally knocked the snot out of Dos Anjos; Stephens was almost submitted in that fight as well. He has a nac for finding peoples chin. . . .
skelliher
skelliher

03.08.2011 | 10:53 AM ET

This is basically turning into a Jeremy Stephens thread, but does anybody remember his epic fight with Joe Lauzon in 2009? Lauzon lives near me in I've trained with him on several occasions, so I'm biased, but I thought that was his most gutsy performance ever.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy

03.08.2011 | 11:02 AM ET

I don't really have a favourite lightweight right now, but I think Joe Lauzon comes the closest.  That guy is always so fun to watch and he's always gutsy, not just in his fight with Jeremy.  I need to watch that fight again actually because I'm not remembering it right now.  But yeah anytime Joe Lauzon has lost in the UFC it's been a FotN performance.  That's on top of his 3 SotN awards and his KotN award which was one of the biggest upsets in MMA history.

skelliher
skelliher

03.08.2011 | 1:33 PM ET

Yeah just to make it clear though, Lauzon beat Stephens in 09. Not sure if you thought he lost.

LynxGuy
LynxGuy

03.08.2011 | 2:00 PM ET

Nah I knew that.  That was one of his submissions of the night. ;]

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Georges St-Pierre declares Islam Makhachev ‘best pound-for-pound’ fighter in the world
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Arman Tsarukyan ‘Talks A Lot’, Reveals Timeline For Next Fight And Truth About Staph Infection
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 pre-event facts: Tatsuro Taira's unbeaten run among UFC's best
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Where does Jared Cannonier go after stoppage loss at UFC Louisville?
  • MMA Junkie : Ludovit Klein pining for top-15 opponent – and a ranking, himself – after UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey reveals original game plan for Holly Holm, but after first punch ‘I was out on my feet’ 
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Tank vs Martin preview, Broner’s downfall, Paul vs Tyson, Pacquiao rumors
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen surprised Arman Tsarukyan turned down Islam Makhachev at UFC 302: 'It's not a good idea historically'
  • MMA Mania : Welcome To The Top 5!
  • Bad Left Hook : David Avanesyan steps in for Crowley, will face Ennis on July 13
  • MMA Junkie : Denise Gomes gets jubilation for payoff after tough UFC Louisville camp for Eduarda Moura
  • MMAFighting.com : Alan Jouban laments bad stoppages ruining fights: ‘We cannot let the UFC turn into the NFL’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Her Biggest Nightmare Was Kayla’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Michael Bisping, Dominick Cruz join John Gooden in booth
  • MMA Mania : Video: Fury Faceplants In Street After Getting Bounced From Bar
  • MMA Junkie : Taylor Lapilus considers Cody Stamann biggest win of his career at UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Alex Pereira responds to Jamahal Hill: ‘Maybe he just woke up from the knockout’
  • Jits Magazine : Three Trials Medallists Invited To ADCC 2024
  • Jits Magazine : Andrew Wiltse’s Thoughts… On CJI vs ADCC
  • Jits Magazine : Eoghan O’Flanagan Joins Craig Jones Invitational At Under 80kg