Topic: UFC 274

UFC 274: Oliveira vs. Gaethje

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,787
  • Post Score: 46

12.16.2021 | 2:54 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 274
  • Saturday 05.07.2022 at 05:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Footprint Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $6,127,962
  • Attendance: 17,232
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 400,000 | TV Ratings: 623,000 avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Charles Oliveira   defeats   Justin Gaethje   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:22 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Carla Esparza   defeats   Rose Namajunas   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Michael Chandler   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via KO/TKO, Front Kick to the Face   0:17 Round 2 of 3, 5:17 Total Bout Page
Ovince St. Preux   defeats   Maurício Rua   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Randy Brown   defeats   Khaos Williams   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Francisco Trinaldo   defeats   Danny Roberts   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Macy Chiasson   defeats   Norma Dumont   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Brandon Royval   defeats   Matt Schnell   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:14 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Blagoy Ivanov   defeats   Marcos Rogério de Lima   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Andre Fialho   defeats   Cameron VanCamp   via KO/TKO, Left Hook   2:35 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tracy Cortez   defeats   Melissa Gatto   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
CJ Vergara   defeats   Kleydson Rodrigues   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Lupita Godinez   defeats   Ariane Carnelossi   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Journey Newson   defeats   Fernie Garcia   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 36

AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,449  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

05.06.2022 | 11:24 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 0 of 1 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 4605th

Oliveira vs. Gaethje
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R3
Its Charles by sub or Gaethje by TKO IMO. I choose the Gathje by TKO option. I will also play some props on Justin in round 3, 4, or 5 since I see a lot of value there.

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,828  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,644
  • Post Score: 261

05.06.2022 | 11:32 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 606th

Charles isn't robbed of anything, Literally the reason why they're second attempt at making weight is that scales would be diffrent, So you can't really use that as an excuse, If all scales was magically the same weight, They're only be one attempt

Also, Someone on his team should figure it out, Also most scales wouldn't be calabrated the same, so this should happen more often, But only Charles is a victim of this, Charles excuse is BS, I don't care what anyone says

"Quack quack quack"

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,451  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  6,057
  • Post Score: 171

05.06.2022 | 11:48 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 14 Winners, 0 Perfect, 280 Points   |   Tied for 4027th

I'm finding the scale conspiracy theories to be hilarious.

Yeah guys it's the scales fault, that's why there are three other people fighting for titles tomorrow, because the scales just didn't want Charles to remain the champ. damn those biased scales!!!

* Edited at 05.06.2022, 11:48 PM ET *

"Through the Gates of Hell"

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,220  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,672
  • Post Score: 107

05.06.2022 | 11:52 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 489th

You guys should both probably look up whatever you are talking about before trying to look like geniuses. Always a few dudes sucking the UFC off.

https://twitter.com/ArianeSorrisoo/status/1522663838293712896?t=9mDIcpx_zDiZnRX72__D5g&s=19

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru

05.06.2022 | 11:54 PM ET

The UFC provides the unofficial weigh in scales and they do NOT have to be checked by the committee because they are the unofficial scales.

So whoever provided the unofficial scales which would be the UFC, provided scales that were not accurate. + everybody else without a title has a pound to play with so it didn't effect them..

How is that a conspiracy theory?

* Edited at 05.06.2022, 11:56 PM ET *

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru

05.07.2022 | 12:04 AM ET

Love how DC and Khabib magically made weight while holding onto a towel for dear life and now when the UFC robs Olivieria everybody is like "it's a conspiracy theory."

* Edited at 05.07.2022, 12:04 AM ET *

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  10,857
  • Post Score: 127

05.07.2022 | 12:23 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 2512th

So that's also the reason that Oliveira weighed in at the last possible minute of the 2 hour window? He just gave up 2 hours of recovery time because he felt like it, not because they miscalculated his cut and they wanted to maximize his chances of hitting despite the troubles?

Come on it's quite obvious that everything did not go to plan for him even if he did beleive he got there in the end when he walked in last minute to get weighed (last fighter on card to weigh in).

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru

05.07.2022 | 12:27 AM ET

I'm waiting for 1 of you geniuses who have never went thru a weigh in to disprove anything I've said. Lol

30 fighters, 22 fighters were .5 off of the exact weight lmao okay brainatics! Keep batting for the UFC they aren't even paying you.

* Edited at 05.07.2022, 12:28 AM ET *

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

05.07.2022 | 12:42 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 1312th

Gone through a ton of weigh ins. Scale being .5 over can happen. If that were the case, Rose, Gaethje, and Esparza would have all missed too. Now let’s say they all cut an extra half a pound. Alright fine.

Why didn’t Charles make weight on the second attempt? It’s literally all the evidence against Charles, when people usually shoot for the bare minimum (I.e 1 pound OVER) and everyone but one fighter was UNDER the allowance. With all the other champs making it. If you ignore that preponderance of data, you still have to come to terms with the fact that Charles couldn’t cut any extra weight in the hour he had.

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,828  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,644
  • Post Score: 261

05.07.2022 | 12:47 AM ET

chrimson chin, Stop smocking the weed

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 606th

Literally the reason their aloud 2nd attempt at making weight is because of scale malfuction, Because scales being slightly wrong would happen kinda frequently, All scales aren't the same weight, People just want to belive BS over just obvius fact,
Bro, Stop being a ******** consricicy **** Literally why would the UFC want Charles to miss weight, You know they lose money because the fight is a vacant belt fight, And if Olveria win, Him vs Islam would also do less because it a vacant belt, They no benefit for the light weight belt being vacated, Just cost them money, Literally Belal Muhamed a better champ then no champ

I bet everyone who think the earth is round is a NASA shill, Or 911 is real is a goverment shill to upou, Charles just missed weight , it not complicated 

"Quack quack quack"

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru

05.07.2022 | 12:52 AM ET

Obvious fact like not a single fighter was under weight for this card ? Lol @duck I think you don't want to admit you don't know what you are talking about...

Oliviera got on the scale at 155.5, took off his underwear still 155.5, came back after a hour later to still be 155.5

* Edited at 05.07.2022, 12:59 AM ET *

ZoomerBet
ZoomerBet
  • Predictions:  3,031  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,137
  • Post Score: 269

05.07.2022 | 12:53 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 1129th

@ damien420 earth being flat has nothing with some brazilian guy weighing 156 lbs. God created a firmament, anything else is blasphemy

"Excuse me guys, I want to say something. I want to stay humble, but I have to talk because you guys talk too much"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,737  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  32,925
  • Post Score: 91

05.07.2022 | 12:59 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 620 Points   |   Tied for 588th

why does anyone give a ****? Charles is still fighting and so is everyone else on the card. 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

05.07.2022 | 1:14 AM ET

fight breakdowns part 1: early prelims

Andre Fialho vs Cameron VanCamp 

Fialho KO RD 1 

I dont really think much needs to be said here. VanCamp was signed by the ufc briefly after he took a short notice fight against nikolas motta and once he pulled out he was released. Now, the ufc resigned him so that andre can get his wish of fighting on 274. His competition is pretty low level (i mean he has a finish loss on his record to ******* thomas gifford) and he really wouldnt be in the ufc if it wasnt for the opportunity. On the feet, hes got confidence but is not the worlds best striker. He leaves his chin up high and is very hittable. His striking looks pretty basic but where he excels is the ground. Actually, i dont know if excel is the right word but hes quite aggressive once he get you on the ground. Now, he doesnt spam takedowns and lay on you, he will try and find the neck and attack a sub out of nowhere. And I really mean nowhere as he will just attack front or darce chokes without any hooks in, just relies on his squeeze and his opponents willingness to quit (which, there is 0 quit in andre). Theres also the fact that andre is just a better fighter than him. Andre is also in the ufc because of short notice fights however thats where he thrives; all three of his fights have came on just weeks notices. HIs cardio isnt the best and hes kind of one dimensional but im a big fan of him. He is basically a boxer in mma but he carries some ******** power. I just think hes a level above vancamp and i think he kicks his ass with ease. I would be a little uneasy if this fight leaves the first round/ hits the ground but i really dont think that will be the case. Just watching vancamp on the feet, I cant help but see him getting sparked tf out for how high he keeps his chin. 

Tracy Cortez vs Melissa Gatto 

Cortez DEC 

This is one where ive been swapping back and forth all week but ive eventually settled on cortez because i dont know if gatto will be able to get a finish this time. Gatto has been pleasantly surprising so far in the ufc; she got signed, failed a drug test, sat out for 3 years and came back wtih a vengeance. Shes got good muay thai but where she really excels is on the mat. Now, gatto has atrocious tdd; she will willingly give up a takedown just to work on her back.This strategy has its upsides and downsides. On the upside, shes very good off of her back, shes always looking for a sub and she will throw strikes off of her back. However, she will stay on her back and not get back up unless she sees an opportunity, and i really dont like that against a suppressive wrestler in cortez. The reason i wasnt fully confident in cortez is because of her last fight; she was struggling with an absolute can in justine kish. When she got the fight down to the ground, she was dominant, but in the striking exchanges she was getting ****** up. Cortez also has to mind her ps and qs on the ground. Just because shes a dominant wrestler does not mean shes in the clear once she gets a takedown. Gatto is a finisher and she will get you on the ground if you make a mistake; see her fight vs karol rosa where she was struggling with the wrestling and then pulled off this ridiculous triangle kimura from the bottom out of nowhere. Ultimately, im going with tracy because this is a bad style matchup for gatto, that being said, it would not surprise me if gatto pulls a finish out of her ass after losing the entire fight; she kind of has a knack of doing that.  

Kleydson Rodrigues vs CJ Vergara 

Rodridgues KO RD 2

I was on rodrigues DEC all week but i honestly think he might get a ko here. Vergara is a solid fighter but he really drew the short end of the stick with this fight. Rodrigues is one hell of a prospect; i really dont see a hole in his game. On the feet, hes an unbelievable striker. He feints and stance switches a ton so hes constantly giving you different looks on the feet. Hes also very high volume and has some solid power. I like his shot selection too as hes very good at picking you apart while dodging big shots. Although he is a striker, hes well versed on the ground too. He has good tdd, scrambles, and if you do get him down hes not going to just sit there and accept it; hes going to fight to get his way back up the second he gets down. I actually really like vergara as a fighter; he is also a striker with very good tdd. His muay thai is awesome, he throws with tons of power and has gotten some sick highlight reel kos on the regional scene/dwcs. I think vergara is honestly a pretty good flw but hes really getting a tough fight here. Also, after watching his war with jacob silva and seeing him get dropped there, I think kleydson will work his way to a ko; he is unrelenting with his pressure on the feet and is always throwing things with bad intentions. He does have to be careful in the third however as vergara’s best round always comes in the third. He throws the most volume and has most of his kos in the third.

Ariane Carnelossi vs Loopy Godinez 

Godinez DEC 

Ive been switching back and forth on this pick all week but ive settled on loopy. The reason it was so hard for me to pick was because im still not sure where carnelossi is in terms of skill level. She is ******* gigantic and has hulk strength, but she is too reliant on that to make me confident in her. Shes got good muay thai but just zombies her way in front of opponents; no head movement, no feints, just walks you down to punch you. Loopy isnt the best striker nor is she the highest volume, but ariane’s style means she will get touched on the feet. The part where it gets the most interesting is on the ground. Carnelossi is a pretty good wrestler and has a black belt, but she gives poisitions up way too easily and also has pretty **** tdd. This is why its so confiusing for me; carnelossi is super strong and has ground skills, but if she gives up tds like she did against Na, then it will be a long night for her. Loopy’s whole game plan is just wrestle you the entire fight. I think shes still green and she will have to work on her striking to develop her game more, but i think she will be able to hold down ariane for most of the fight. I dont think shes going to be constantly looking for subs like na did either so this leaves less opportunity for ariane to get a reversal or gnp. Ultimately, if ariane had better tdd, I would probably pick her here. 

Journey Newson vs Fernie Garcia 

Newson DEC 

This is an interesting fight for me because when it got announced, i honestly forgot newson even still fought in the ufc. I rewatched his tape, and hes honestly not bad for his record (should be 1-2 but had a bs NC). Fernie on the other hand, is someone im very unimpressed with. For someone with only 1 ko on his record, hes got decent hands. He is a boxer and throws decent volume and again, for someone with only 1 ko, he holds decent power and technique. However, when I watch tape of this guy im really unimpressed. Hes fought some really bad competition and even when hes winning he doesnt look that great. He has solid striking, but he is very hittable. For every hit he lands, he takes multiple back. He also has shown a weakness to left hooks and leg kicks. You watch his tape and he just doesnt block leg kicks whatsoever. Even in his dwcs appearance he was getting pieced up before landing the kill shot (against a short notice opponent who had a bad weight cut and already not the best chin). For newson, I honewstly like his striking. He gets hit a lot but the technique and power is there. Hes also very good on the mat; being a black belt, in his fights outside the ufc, he uses his grappling a lot more and hes honestly pretty solid there. We saw glimpses of it in his debut against ramos and while he showed poor tdd, he was able to get out of bad situations and get up with relative ease. One thing i really liked from him in that fight was the leg kicks. Garcia is very heavy on his lead leg and as i said earlier, he doesnt check them at all. Newson came very close to a tko by leg kicks against ramos and i could see him utilizing this a lot. I dont really like newson’s chin and i dont really trust it here because he didnt have the easiest weight cut, but i think hes the much better fighter despite the ufc track record. 

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

05.07.2022 | 1:15 AM ET

fight breakdowns part 2: prelims

Randy Brown vs Khaos Williams 

Williams Ko RD 3 

Mannnnnn what a fight this is. Randy Brown is a fighter who has kind of grown up in the ufc, and all that experience is staring to pay off. Hes quite big for the division and has a very diverse striking game. He throws lots of leg kicks, front kicks, and oblique kicks while also ultizing a front kick and many other strikes. I really like the variety he has. He is not a wrestler or a grappler but if the fight goes to the ground, he is a black belt and has a pretty good ground game as we’ve seen with wins over warlley alves or that crazy one arm RNC he hit against cowboy oliviera. For khaos, like all his other ufc fights, this is one he shouldnt win on paper but he will probably win anyways. I am a huuuuuge khaos fan and I really think hes got a very high ceiling. I do however, get annoyed watching him fight because the potential, athleticism, speed, and power is all there, but its just unrefined. There are times where, if he was a more disciplined striker, he could throw a vicious counter or even if he just worked on technique hed be more effective; instead he misses on a lot of his shots. All this being said, hes still a very good fighter. His hand speed is crazy impressive; he will just throw blind hooks at ridiculous speed and he is very strong. Someone in the thread compared him to WW ngannou and i see it. While he doesn't have the ngannou power, people respect him in the cage once he lands cleanly. We saw in the pereira fight (which i thought he won btw) he was landing some bombs and made pereira respect him (which is something we almost never see from pereira). Or take the semi fight for example, when he landed on semi, semi instantly went into survival mode for most of the first round and a little bit of the second. One thing i dont like about khaos in this matchup is his disregard for checking leg kicks. Khaos is heavy on the lead leg and instead of checking kicks, he throws a punch as his leg gets hit so he kind of falls into the opponent. I mean, its been effective thus far (see the baeza ko) but i dont like that against someone who constantly attacks the legs in randy brown. Finally, one thing that really impresses me about khaos is the level of competition. Since getting into the ufc, he hasnt fought any ww outside of the top 30 (except for alhassan but he was still considered good when they fought). I mean morono, alhassan, pereira, semi, and baeza are all very solid opponents. 

Fransico Trinaldo vs Danny Roberts 

Trinaldo KO RD 3 

This is the hardest fight on the card to call for me. If trinaldo was literally 3 years younger I would be super confident in him here. I really do not rate roberts at all, even after that “win” against emeev last time out. I see people saying hes looked improved since going to sanford but im not really seeing it. In that last fight, he was engaging in the grappling and the striking, and having success in both areas, but, he still was doing lots of things i didnt like. Firstly, the striking; the volume for him just wasnt there (its never really been there) and i didnt see much technique. When he did strike, it looked more like sloppy brawling to me. He gets hit to take a hit. I really dont like this because i think dannys chin sucks. I will say, danny has some pretty solid power, but he doesnt have the technique to land crazy kill shots all the time. I dont like his ground game either; despite willingly engaging on the ground with emeev, his tdd is pretty bad and, despite showing good defense, his awareness on the ground is not great. Finally, despite training at sanford (a gym that is good at getting your cardio in check) he was sooooooooo gassed at the end of the fight; the last 30 seconds he looked like he was ready to give up. Now, Trinaldo is an interesting case. I think hes been deathly underrated throughout his career; despite the old age hes had a lot of success in the ufc (17-7). I will say, I really dont like how he is a former LW now fighting at WW. As we can see here, like most of his fights at WW, hes undersized. Now, hes done a pretty good job at closing the distance and landing strikes on bigger opponents, but you dont like to see a 43 year old who is smaller than all of his opponents. What i really dont like about trinaldo is he makes every fight greasy and ugly. Just look at his fights against bobby green, alex hernandez, or dwight grant. For someone who has never been koed in 35 fights, his durability has decreased. Hes been hurt in a bunch of his recent fights. I do really like his experience tho. He knows how to win points on the scorecards and he can mix in bjj with his striking well. I actually think trinaldo has pretty deceptive power for someone with only 9 kos. He puts a decent amount of power into everything. Overall, I think the experience of trinaldo will win him the fight. I think he will get a third round ko because of roberts bad chin and gas tank. I think this will actually be a pretty fun fight but i HATE this from a breakdown perspective because i really cant be too confident in either fighter. 

Macy Chiasson vs Norma Dumont 

Dumont DEC 

I think this should be an easy win for dumont. I really dont think chiasson is good and I also dont like her after her recent fights. I was disappointed to see her mysteriously pull out against aspen ladd and then refuse the fight a second time after ladd missed weight, only to then miss weight in her most recent fight. Chiasson relies on being bigger than everyone else to win fights. She hits decently hard and has some okay grappling but nothing that blows me away. What I really dont like about her is her level of competition. Her best win was marion renau on a 3 fight L streak and even then that was a close fight. I think dumont just has her beaten everywhere. On the feet, shes pretty high volume and has a background in sanda. She also has a 100% tdd. I dont see macy having success anywhere in this fight. 

Brandon Royval vs Matt Schnell 

Royval SUB RD 2 

I think its criminal this fight is this low on the card but, the ufc loves to disrespect the FLW division. However, I think this is a pretty easy fight for royval. Schnell isnt a bad fighter but hes getting a brutal matchup here. Despite having 8 wins by sub, schnell is mostly a striker. He utilizies his boxing on the feet and only really uses his bjj when he gets taken to the ground (as we can see by all of his triangle and guillotine chokes). I like schnells bjj, specifically how he transitions from a guillotine to a triangle so effortlessly. What I do not like about him is his chin. The weight cut to 125 is just not good for his chin, and its not that great at 135 either. Schnell may be the more technical fighter, but royval is something else on the feet. I dont say that as if hes a god on the feet, more his striking is just so unorthodox that you cant really prepare for it. He is a brawler and will just throw random spinning ****, random knees, just the whole kitchen sink really. Where he really shines is the ground. Much like his striking style, he throws everything hes got at you while on the ground. Constant granby rolls, constantly creating wild scrambles, and can pull subs out of anywhere. I think this should be an easy win for him and I also wouldnt be shocked if he gets a ko. 

Blagoy Ivanov vs Marcos De Lima 

Ivanov SUB RD 1 

This fight really annoys me because, on paper, blagoy is levels ahead of de lima and its just not close, but he looked so bad in his last fight. Now, he should have won, either from sakai losing a point off of that atrocious fence grab or if he hadnt pulled the cage, ivanov could have won by laying on him for the rest of the round. Its not just this loss tho, he did not look like he usually does. I dont know if he was struggling with the size of sakai or what but it was weird. He gassed out despite having great cardio for hw, he wasnt even making any attempt to make sakai think on the feet and just threw blind punches, and just in general didnt look like himself. That being said, i really do not rate de lima at all. He has two ways of winning fights. He either swarms you on the feet and tries to get a ko while just failing his arms around or he tries to take you down and lay on you for 15 minutes. I really dont see him having success in any of these areas. On the feet, he could clip blagoy or make him uncomfortable, but i do not see him koing blagoy. He may have good power but if balgoy could eat clean shots from derrick lewis and tai tuivasa then i do not think hes worried. Blagoy honestly has one of the best chins in the division. I also think it would be stupid for de lima to try to win via grappling because, while he may be able to take blagoy down, Blagoy has an extensive judo and sambo background. He doesnt use it very much offensively, but when he attempts takedowns hes ble to get them with ease. De lima may be a black belt, but he has very poor sub defense and gives up takedowns like its nothing. His gas tank also sucks too. I think this will hit the ground at some point and i think balgoy will sub de lima like how he loses all of his fights. He hasnt gotten a sub in almost a decade but when hes on the ground blagoy is always looking for submissions. Hes got a very good guillotine and keylock and I think de lima gets caught in one of the two. 

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

05.07.2022 | 1:15 AM ET

fight breakdowns part 3: main card

Charles Oliviera vs Justin Gaethje 

Oliviera SUB RD 2

So, this fight had a lot more drama than it needed to have. Despite the weight cut fiasco, Im still going with charles; i dont think a half pound miss is the end of the world and even then it wasnt caused from a bad cut, more confusion about the scales. If anything, its just added annoyance for charles. Despite me being confident in charles, this is not a free win for him. Gaethje is very liable for a ko here. Gaethje is a brawler who just breaks people. He throws very high volume and attacks your head and legs viciously. His power actually isnt that crazy for someone with 19 kos but his sheer volume is enough to make people wilt. While do bronx is no longer a quitter, he has still been badly hurt in his last two fights and i really dont see him escaping this one unscathed either. All this being said, its not like charles cant hang on the feet. I think one of the best things about charles is how good his striking actually is. People dont really pay attention to it because charles mostly takes the fight to the ground instantly but he has a very strong muay thai base. He is going to have a huge 4 inches of reach on gaethje and hes got really sneaky hooks like we saw against chandler and my fvaorite move of his is his step-in elbow. Charles also has deceptive power. Where he really excels is the ground game. I think the second this goes to the ground it will be over for gaethje. Sure, getting manhandled by kahbib doesnt really mean much because he does it to everyone, but even if gaethjes ground game isnt THAT bad, hes still not going to be able to do anything other than maybe get a reversal. 

Rose Namajunas vs Carla Esparza 

Namajunas DEC 

Feel good about rose here. I know, she always underperforms in the rematch but guess what? Shes still 4-0 in rematches and i dont see that changing here. On the feet, rose has became very formidable. She got her movement and timing down to a T and has really shown some good power like with the weili and joanna kos. Her biggest weakness is still her tdd but i think she has improved enough to the point where it shouldnt be a problem here. Rose also has a nasty ground game. For esparza her game plan is simple, shes just going to wrestle you. Even though she is on a great winstreak and is coming off of an extremely dominant performance, I dont think she will beat rose 2.0. When you look into her winstreak, shes got 3 questionable decisions over grasso, waterson, and rodriguez. In these fights, she was getting outstruck and even though she was getting takedowns, she was also fighting off sub attempts and even though she would rack up control time, she would lose the rest of the round off of striking. Rose could very well lose this fight but i think the striking will make the difference. Even if she does give rose trouble on the ground, i think rose’s stirking will make the difference. The reason the weili fight was so close is because weili could match rose in the striking while also mixing in takedowns. Unless esparza has suddenly became a pro kickboxer, i dont think she has the striking chops to win on the feet as well as the ground. 

Michael Chandler vs Tony Ferguson 

Chandler KO RD 1

I dont really feel like much needs to be said here. You have two vets in two different places. Tony has been looking a career worst recently and chandler, despite losing his last two has been all action excitement and hasnt showed any signs of slowing down. He is quite old actually (jsut turned 36) but he looks in incredible shape physically while el cucuy has been looking pretty rough. I just really dont see where tony is a threat here. Hes got some creative striking but i dont think he can deal with the gorilla strength that is michael chandler. Chandler doesnt have a lot of technique but he has one hell of a right hand and loves to brawl. With all the damage hes taken, I think tony is gonna get brutally koed here. Tony’s best path would be taking it to the ground. He has a funky ground game and specializes in his darce choke. However, I also dont see him having success there either; chandler is a beast of a wrestler and find his way out of a situation either by scrambling out or just defending a choke. Ireally dont think tony will finish him on the ground because chandler has adapted his wrestling game into anti BJJ. He might not have the greatest awareness, but hes very good at avoiding being subbed, i mean this man willingly gave do bronx his back. I think chandler is going to royally **** tony up and eveyrone is going to feel bad watching it. There may be a winner in the cage, but nobody wins this fight, especially the fans (even though im looking forward to this fight lol). 

Shogun Rua vs OSP II 

Rua KO RD 2 

Heres a fight that just didnt need to happen. This is the only fight on the card that im not at least slightly interested in. Rua is basically retired and OSP has looked ******* terrible as of late. Im kind of shocked hes still fighting because when you watch current day OSP, it looks like hes just fighting to lose. Hes very very slow and doesnt look liek he knows how to strike anymore. He plods around firing single shots and usually looks for a big counter shot. Hes also quite hittable and his durability has pretty much gone out the window at this point. Hes been koed in his last two fights and technically has been finished in his last 4 losses (the reyes one you could say was a ko at 5 min of round 3; he basically koed him with the last strike he threw). Even in the oleksejcuk fight, he was getting the **** beaten out of him and was very close to getting koed on multiple occasions but was able to pull off a sub once michal gassed. OSP has a pretty crafty ground game, favoring his signature von preux choke but as of recently he hasnt been able to get the fight to the ground that much either. For shogun i really dont know what to expect. Surprsingly, him and osp are actually only 2 years apart, but i think there is much more wear on the tires of shogun. Funny enough, hes 5-2-1 in his last 8 fights (should be 6-2 because the first craig fight was bad judging) after a career of inconsistency in the ufc. I actually think i would favor shogun on the feet. Crazy, i know considering he tapped to strikes against ******* paul craig in his last fight, but at least he hasnt looked frozen like OSP has. Striking has always been shoguns primary game and despite the old age hes still mixing it up on the feet decently well (again, definitely a better striker than OSP at this point). The x factor here will be shoguns ground game. Shogun actually is quite a solid wrestler and has been able to notch up a solid amount of control time in his fights. Hes also got very good bjj. We never see it, but shogun can get out of scary situations and is smart enough to not get subbed (as we saw him hang in paul craigs guard with no fear of being subbed). I hate that he tapped to strikes and hasnt fought in 3 years despite the fact that he (probably) should have retired after the first OSP loss but i think his motivation will carry him here. SHogun said he wants this fight and one more after because he feels like he needs to do it. OSP’s body language from his recent fights has shown hes just there to collect a paycheck so i think the motivation will play a role. Finally, OSP had a pretty **** weight cut and considering hes already been very slow and lethargic (at HW in his last fight nonetheless) I dont like how that affects his chances here. 

Cowboy Cerrone vs Joe Lauzon 

Cerrone KO RD 2 

I really wish this fight happened back in 2013-16 when both guys were still good but this will have to do. Its not a bad fight by any means, actually quite the opposite, but i do feel a little bad watching this fight as neither guy should really be spending anymore time in the octagon. As far as predicting fights go, this one is pretty ugly. You have cowboy who is on a pretty nasty L streak and then you have lauzon who I could have sworn was retired and only has about 3 minutes of gas left in his tank at this point. At his best, cowboy has a very well rounded game. He was a great kickboxer before transitioning to mma (22-1 or something like that) and he has been able to get some sick kos throughout his octagon tenure. He also has a nasty bjj game too. In his current state, cowboy has mostly just been a striker and he has tried to get his fights to the ground but has had little success (3/16 on attempts with a combined 1:53 in control time for those 3 tds). However, he may actually have some success with takedowns here as lauzon wants to be on the ground because it 1. Saves his gas tank and 2. Is where hes most comfortable because bjj is really the only thing he has at this point. Cowboys biggest concern for me is his chin. Yes, hes getting koed by mcgregor, gathje, tony but that still doesnt mean he can take a punch well, just watch his most recent fight; it wasnt competitive from start to finish. He looked slow and his body didnt react well to damage at all. I am also interested to see how he takes shots now that hes cut 15 extra pounds. Despite all my worries about his chin, I don think he is in much danger here against lauzon. In all hoesntly, lauzon is one of the worst strikers ive seen. Hes very low volume and once he gasses out he pretty much gives up on trying to strike and instead zombie walks in front of you to try and get into a clinch. His power isnt the greatest either, but watching his most recent fight he hopesntly looked pretty good. He landed some big shots and eventually got the ko against a really good prospect in pearce. However, I think that may have been a one off hometown win because that performance doesnt make up for the ****show that haqs been his last 5 fights before that one. Disregarding the robbery that was the held fight, hes essentially coming into this fight having lost 5 out of his last 6 fights. Not only that, but i honestly think his previous losses have been much more brutal than cowboys. Cowboy has gotten the **** kicked out of him but at least his fights are quick. Lauzon will gas out and then get the ever loving **** beaten out of him for the next two rounds or until he gets finished. Ugly fight to call but im going with cowboy because at least he has a cardio advantage. Maybe lauzon comes out aggressive but as long as cowboy doesnt get koed (i really dont see him getting subbed here) i think he will eventually chin lauzon.

gliese58i
gliese58i

05.07.2022 | 1:17 AM ET

@CrimsonChinGuru

He was 156 before taking off his udnerwear first time watch it again if you don't believe me. They read "156" like he had passed and someone says "no, he has to be 155". Olives looks confused and surprised looking at his team and they bring the curtain.

Doesn't matter anyhow since the idiot operating the scale had the motor skills of a lobotomized toddler and it's entirely subjective when they decide the scale has stopped moving.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

gliese58i
gliese58i

05.07.2022 | 1:20 AM ET

"Father, why have you forsaken me!?" - Charles looking at the ceiling after missing weight.

backburnerjonie
backburnerjonie
  • Predictions:  1,402  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  174
  • Post Score: 145

05.07.2022 | 1:21 AM ET

What I’m Rockin with

Oliveira 

Fiahlo

Chandler Vs. Ferguson Over 1.5

Royval 

OSP

Best of luck boys 

gorelitz
gorelitz
  • Predictions:  190  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 86

05.07.2022 | 1:26 AM ET

@Rustytennakoon

Give us some locks fights Master🔒 

Page 36

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Smiley Mac Confounds Fans With Latest Update
  • MMA Mania : UFC Louisville: Best Betting Props, Parlays And Picks
  • MMA Junkie : Ricky Turcios no longer upset at Raul Rosas Jr. for last-minute withdrawal: 'I put the past behind me'
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Confident Islam Makhachev Will Be a ‘Very Easy Fight’ for Him After Seeing Him at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Raul Rosas Jr. slighted by Ricky Turcios' criticism of his withdrawal, confident he'll 'put him out' at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMA Mania : White Lie: Power Slap ‘Has More Viewers Than Any Taylor Swift Video Ever Posted’
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Jared Cannonier still make a title run or will Nassourdine Imavov end the dream at UFC Louisville?
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Pereira: Everybody talks about Magomed Ankalaev's grappling, 'but they don't know my ground'
  • MMA Mania : FIGHT LIFE! Poirier Details Extent Of Multiple Injuries
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 poster released featuring champs Leon Edwards, Tom Aspinall
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Marcos: UFC on ESPN 57 a great opportunity to stop John Castañeda, close in on rankings
  • MMA Junkie : Nassourdine Imavov: Jared Cannonier won't hit me like he did 'punching bag' Marvin Vettori
  • Middle Easy : There is ‘Great Positivity’ That the UFC 303 Headliner Between Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Will Move Forward
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC antitrust settlement agreement submitted to the court for approval
  • MMA Mania : Makhachev Would Have Been ‘Very Easy Fight’ For Tsarukyan At UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC antitrust settlement agreement includes new contract provisions for fighters
  • UFC.com : BRAD KATONA: ADDRESSING THE BOTTLENECK
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC, RIZIN announce talent swap partnership with bareknuckle fights headed to Japan
  • Jits Magazine : Polaris Announces First Ever Gi Grand Prix
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC partners with RIZIN on co-promoted events, talent exchange, expansion into Japan