Topic: Fitch vs. Hendricks

Fitch vs. Hendricks

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,794  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,656
  • Post Score: 60

09.13.2011 | 4:37 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Fitch   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Fitch vs. Hendricks. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 7

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

01.01.2012 | 7:34 PM ET

Prediction: correct Hendricks   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

i think we wil see fitch only on ufc fight nights for his next couple of fights.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

01.02.2012 | 8:35 AM ET

He may have even given Dana the excuse he was looking for to put him the under card as well... it's a shame.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

01.02.2012 | 9:31 AM ET

It may feel unfair how Dana will threat fitch but do you really think he has a chance at GSP after his BJ fight? 

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.02.2012 | 12:12 PM ET

One can feel good for Johny Hendricks without trashing Jon Fitch in the process.

Dana White was masterful in matching the #2 WW with an unranked fighter.  It was a no-win fight for Fitch.  Which is what it was supposed to be.  And by getting caught, Fitch is now screwed completely.  Which is what Dana White was hoping for.  Kudos to White for his masterful manipulating of the rankings.  Haven't seen this degree of crap since the heyday of Don King in boxing's bad old days.

Now, Mr. White can feed Fitch a steady stream of newcomers.  No more big names for Fitch.  All his fights will be no-win matches, whereby if he wins, he was supposed to win, and if he loses . . . 

Congrats, Mr. White.  You really understand the fine points of running an entertainment business.  

The big loser?  MMA's evolving into a legitimate sport.  Pity.  MMA deserves so much more.

But karma is a *****.  Dana lost his cash-cow in Brock Lesnar.  Boo hoo, Mr. White.  Couldn't happen to a nicer man.

* Edited at 01.02.2012, 12:13 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

01.02.2012 | 1:37 PM ET

Prediction: correct Hendricks   wrong Decision  

I find your opinions on Fitch to be so misguided and biased, your fanaticism for Fitch is admirable.  He should send you a Christmas card every year, you're his biggest supporter.  I'm not knocking you, just your opinion.  I totally disagree.

There's no way that Hendricks did not deserve a fight with Fitch, and he proved it by starching him.  Jon Fitch was extremely overrated, and has now fallen to the middle of the pack which is where he really belongs.  He is not a world beater.

The only way your arguments would make sense is if Fitch had never gotten a title shot in the first place.  No one is screwing him, he lost a fight.  There are other guys at 170 that can and probably will beat him.  Should he not have to fight them as well?

* Edited at 01.02.2012, 1:41 PM ET *

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

01.02.2012 | 1:44 PM ET

Im going to stand up for Bill here; despite Fitch beating my favourite fighter TWICE (Alves). We all know that if GSP faced Fitch again it would have most likely been a one-sided fight much like the first. Regardless, he earnt the title shot by winning so many fights and I do agree Dana White would rather of not have given him a title shot even if he beat Hendricks. To all these people talking smack on Fitch, you were quick to move Hendricks into your top 10, even top 5, based on beating Fitch alone; obviously you know Fitch is talented.

Infact, @Jodybanman is a perfect example. You have Hendricks ranked 4TH! That shows how valuable a win over Fitch is too you, so stop being a hypocrite and saying Fitch is a 'middle' tier fight because youve shown you know he isnt. If anyones opinion is biased, its yours. When Serra knocked out GSP, he didnt become my number 1 welterweight. Hendricks wont overtake Fitch this time either, until he faces another top 10 and beats them.

* Edited at 01.02.2012, 1:47 PM ET *

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,102  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

01.02.2012 | 1:49 PM ET

@Russello My sentiments exactly

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

jodybanman
jodybanman

01.02.2012 | 1:49 PM ET

There is no doubt that Fitch is a top ten welterweight, closer to top five.  I just never really saw him as the second best guy in the division after St. Pierre beat him, and Hendricks proved me right.  Fitch had his shot against St. Pierre, and he had not done enough to earn another one and there were and are more deserving contenders.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.02.2012 | 7:52 PM ET

@jody No problem.  I hear you.  You are entitled to your disagreements with me.  But I hold out for the opinion that Jon Fitch was ranked #2 in almost every single poll that is out there.  Not my opinion.  It was the absolute consensus, by whatever panelists made those polls.  He had only lost a single fight to GSP over 3 years ago.

To continue to assert that Johny Hendricks deserved to fight Fitch is your right.  But the opinion is wrong.  Just wrong.  He had done nothing to merit such a humongous, massive jump.  He had lost to Story, and beat Pierce and Brenneman.  So, where are the credentials to support your assertion??  Because I don't see them.  I say they aren't there.  They don't exist.  

Just as Matt Serra was completely undeserving of a title shot against GSP.  The fact that both Hendricks and Serra happened to get in a shot and win the fights does not in any way whatsoever change the fact that they had no credentials to earn a title shot.  Sports is chock full of upsets.  By the way, the UFC has admitted that Serra was undeserving of a title shot by changing their rules and not allowing the winners of TUF to get automatic title shots anymore.  What a moronic rule in the first place!!!

Most informed fans agree that contenders should be forced to earn their way up the ladder to face better and better opponents.  Some fans disagree.  They are entitled to be the minority dissent.

To bump Hendricks all the way to fourth rank based on a win over Fitch speaks volumes of how valuable you give a win over Fitch.  Your reasoning is upside down but that's fine.  Your opinion on Fitch is upside down.  You are rightside up!  Your opinion has every right to be upside down.  As are we all.  If I am upside down in my loyalty to Jon Fitch, so be it.  I'm loyal that way.

* Edited at 01.02.2012, 7:57 PM ET *

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.02.2012 | 8:04 PM ET

I knew Hendricks was gonna win. Fitch was #2 until Janary 1st 2012. This year he's got nowhere to go but down. We won't hear much from Jon Fitch this year. That's MY new year's predicition.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.02.2012 | 8:07 PM ET

I see calling Fitch overrated as an insult to Johnny Hendricks and it devalues what he's accomplished. Hendricks is the first person in the UFC and the first person at 170 lbs to stop Jon Fitch. It was a huge upset and maybe Hendricks just caught Fitch but as of right now ranking wise Hendricks > Fitch. Hendricks was a stylistic nightmare for Fitch anyway, Johnny had the better wrestling credentials and more power standing. This goes back to what I was saying with how a dominating decision is sometimes better than a quick KO. With the quick KO there are always people who say he just got caught, you can't do that with a dominating decision.  

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

jodybanman
jodybanman

01.02.2012 | 8:09 PM ET

Fitch was the consensus second banana at 170, you are correct.  I had been ranking him 3rd or 4th, I think for quite some time.  I often disagree with the majority.  I'm not a Fitch fan, obviously, but I do have the utmost respect for his skills and for his accomplishments, and I've never stated that he isn't a good fighter.  He is a good fighter, one of the best at 170 to be sure.

I was excited about the Hendricks fight from day one, because I knew that stylistically he had a good chance to beat Fitch.  Fitch and some of his fans griped about Fitch having to lower himself to fighting a guy of Hendricks purportedly low stature, but not me.  I understand that the way the sport works is you don't always get to fight the guys you want due to scheduling conflicts, or even the whims of the matchmaker.  Fitch's trajectory wasn't so high that any of those complaints had any merit, in my opinion.  Fitch had the opportunity to fight a top guy in Penn and didn't win.  

The ladder goes both ways, you can't always be climbing over people, sometimes people climb over you.

cannibalistic
cannibalistic
  • Predictions:  1,470  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 200

01.02.2012 | 8:50 PM ET

Dana didn't want to give Fitch a title shot because he knew it would be a boring match. All of Fitch's and GSP's most recent wins have all came from decisions, but not even good ones at that. I was happy when Fitch got knocked out because I didn't have to watch a 15 min lay and prey match

"He's got to put his balls in a wheelbarrow and go for it"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

01.02.2012 | 8:58 PM ET

Fitch, Alves and Shields all had their shot at the title lost and have had to face up and comers recently and have all lost..it has put some fresh faces and potential new title challengers in the division i'm not seeing the problem with these type of matchups 

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

01.02.2012 | 9:50 PM ET

Hendricks earned a fight with Fitch by going 6-1 in the UFC, against solid guys with 3 finishes. That whole "Dana hates Fitch" conspiracy theory was way off base and completely ridiculous.

Fitch didn't get another title shot because he didn't beat BJ. If you can't beat BJ, you can't beat GSP and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Maybe Fitch will now find a new sense of urgency in his career and upgrade his gameplan to include the possibility of finishes.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437
  • Post Score: 236

01.02.2012 | 11:56 PM ET

@Bill Burgess How would you suggest Dana handle the UFC? All sports are part of the entertainment business, simple as that. The NFL doesn't have to worry about things like crappy games, because people will watch it in droves regardless of how good the matchup is. MMA doesn't have that luxury. There is a point where you can't deny somebody a title shot (Fitch didn't deserve one in the first place, but that's not the point) but if they're a boring fighter, you should put that off as long as possible. The UFC is a PPV run business, and nobody will buy PPV's if they don't feature exciting fights. Fitch is not an exciting fighter; at least not to the majority of viewers. 

Of course Dana doesn't want to see him getting fights against high profile people, exactly because he IS so good. Everybody knows that Fitch isn't good enough to beat GSP, but he may be good enough to beat potential challengers that the UFC is building to fight the champ. It's business, and until the UFC is in the same position as the other major sport organizations, they have to handle fighters like Fitch they way they have been.

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.03.2012 | 1:23 AM ET

@hybrid  For the most part, Dana White has done a good job.  Jon Fitch is not the common case.  When someone is hard to beat, you should try to match them up with those who might beat them.  Under normal circumstances, they means they get the upper tier guys.  If Fitch starts another win streak, he should deserve to get name fighters.

The UFC is a business.  It's business is fighting.  It should match name guys against other name guys they haven't fought yet.  As the rising stars start win streaks, give them the best of the other rising stars and then the name guys.

White does a very good job but with Fitch, he's an *******.  No one is perfect.  

norbar
norbar
  • Predictions:  2,367  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  473
  • Post Score: 129

01.07.2012 | 6:05 PM ET

@Bill Who was Dana to give to Fitch? Most top 10 fighters are valuable prospects and they would loose a lot of stock (in fans eyes also) if they lost a booring decision to Fitch. Giving Fitch a marketable top10 fighter after BJ draw make no sense.
Also by threating Fitch as a high level gatekeeper Dana can create contenders.

It is not ranking manipulation but running a business. Yes the UFC same as the movies, music, books, newspapers and a ton of others is a business and people tend to forget that. Fitch is much more valuable as a high level gatekeeper than a contender since he has high chance of beating exciting prospects in the top 10 and his GSP fight would not be marketable. I know it may not seem fair to Fitch but its not that Dana wanted to screw him over. Simply they have found the best role for him in their opinion. Unfortunately for someone to win someone else has to loose.

Also its not like Fitch can generate some hype about him. He doesnt even have to change his fighting style as Chael showed since his style is very similar with the differance being that he doesnt tap every time he even hears the word guillotine.

"“Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” ― Oscar Wilde"

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Video: Kayla Harrison Slams Alex Pereira Hard To The Mat With Powerful Judo Throw
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mom Doesn’t Want Me To KO You’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • Middle Easy : ‘Proud Dad’ Conor McGregor Shares Video Of Son Conor Jr. Earning First BJJ Stripe In Ireland
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Holland vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown explains what Dustin Poirier needs to do to beat Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez confident Dustin Poirier's guillotine won't work on Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 start time, fight card, TV schedule for Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa
  • MMA Mania : Zhang Vs. Wilder Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 predictions: Five blowout picks in Newark, but are upsets looming?
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC 302: Makhachev vs Poirier
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Lightweight’s Greatest Brawler Takes A Final Swipe At UFC Gold
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 play-by-play and live results (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Embedded: ‘I would never disrespect your family’
  • MMA Mania : Makhachev Vs. Poirier Betting Odds, Prediction
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 302 Results, Streaming PPV Updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Deontay Wilder vs. Zhilei Zhang start time, fight card, TV schedule, ring walks for boxing 5v5