Topic: Gleison Tibau

Gleison Tibau Fails USADA Drug Test, 'Provisionally Suspended'

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.04.2015 | 5:42 PM ET

Link.

Anyone shocked?

Two decent-sized names thus far under the USADA program. We'll see how many continue to play chicken with them. 

Nice to see some names going down, as much as it sucks; at least we know they're actually catching people like Tibau who have looked like he has for his entire UFC run without being caught.

UPDATE: The substance found was EPO, which is extremely difficult to catch. Another encouraging sign.

* Edited at 12.04.2015, 6:18 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Gleison Tibau

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Janigleison Herculano Alves
  • Pro MMA Record: 37-19-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: January 21, 2024 in TBMMA
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 174.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: American Top Team
  • Height: 5'8" (173cm) | Reach: 68.0" (173cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $752,000 USD
  • Born: Natal, Rio Grande Norte, Brazil
  • Fighting out of: Coconut Creek, Florida
  • Head Coach: Ricardo Liborio
  • Other Coaches: Howard Davis Jr., Chutiphat Runsgawang, Marcos Da Matta
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

12.04.2015 | 5:44 PM ET

Not that shocked but i am big enough fan considering he nearly has record for UFC fights , ultra veteran,  but now I'm thinking he was doped up that whole time. ...

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,574
  • Post Score: 275

12.04.2015 | 5:47 PM ET

Agreed.  If no fighters are getting caught, it means this USADA thing is a bunch of BS.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kinsalsa
Kinsalsa
  • Predictions:  360  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,772
  • Post Score: 129

12.04.2015 | 5:56 PM ET

Janigleison Herculano Alves got caught ?

"Endings are sad, beginnings are scary...but it's the middle that counts."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

12.04.2015 | 6:19 PM ET

If he has been the whole time, it took them a very long time to catch him.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

psychicdeath
psychicdeath
  • Predictions:  38,346  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,198
  • Post Score: 261

12.04.2015 | 6:26 PM ET

Tibau's statement, from http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/4/9851752/gleison-tibau-deeply-sorry-reacts-to-usada-suspension

I’m not used to an easy life. Since I was a kid, I have fought for everything I’ve conquered, I have overcome adversities, and I’m really proud of who I am. I face this doping news as another stone that I have to take out of my way as a professional fighter and a correct citizen. As a responsible man that I am, I never believed I ingested something that could fantasize my performances. I make sure I have a healthy life outside the sport, and honest and clean inside the sport. I train hard, I do my best.

However, I can’t turn my back to a notification from USADA, an institution with credibility and a mission of stopping dirty game, doping. I will talk to my medical staff in the next days to find out where we made a mistake, and will do what we can in my trial. I fight professionally for 16 years, nine being  inside the UFC, and was never in this situation. It tastes bad, like a loss inside the cage, but will be a big lesson, as experience to become more alert as an athlete of what can or can’t be done in the sport’s anti-doping policy.

I’m deeply sorry for what happened. I want to apologize to everyone involved, the UFC, American Top Team, my teammates and, of course, Abel Trujillo, who I fought on Nov. 7. I’m willing to give him a rematch, if he agrees. I’ve fought and defeated athletes that failed drug tests, like Polish athlete Piotr Hallman last September, and I know how bad it feels for the opponent.

I can’t forget to apologize to the fans, everyone that always supported me. I’m sure this time won’t be different, as I’m already getting messages and support through social media.

Fighting MMA is what I know to do, what I’ve chosen as a professional, my income. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I believe the justice will punish if needed, but also clear me if proven.

To the media, I thank the opportunity for giving me a voice in this complex moment that I’m living now, the toughest in my career. I trust in God so I can go back in action in my career in an honored way, like I always did.

Gleison Tibau

Personally, I'm not buying the "I don't know how it got in my system" excuse.  We've heard that a million times.

* Edited at 12.04.2015, 6:27 PM ET *

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. "

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.04.2015 | 6:28 PM ET

I get the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, but come on ... be honest with yourselves. 

This is the same situation as Anderson Silva popping. People bring up that it's the only time these guys have been caught ... while refusing to acknowledge that it's the only time they've been tested randomly outside of competition. 

Beating the commission night-of tests is a joke. It's like clock-work and it's more of an IQ test than a substance test.

EDIT: His tone in the statement is one of resignation, not defiance. It's telling.

* Edited at 12.04.2015, 6:29 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.04.2015 | 6:38 PM ET

@rapp

Yes because there testing use to be a joke that why he never got caught.  Are you trying to suggest this is the only time he used?  Because if so, I got some magical beans I like to sell you.

* Edited at 12.04.2015, 6:43 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

12.04.2015 | 6:40 PM ET

Every time one of these guys go down, I just think of Lapti crazy arguments insisting the random drug testing does not work and that standard testing, the night off, catches more fighters then random testing. That these guys where all clean the entire time outside the one time they popped or that PEDS don't help win fights.  They just make me all laugh so hard.

* Edited at 12.04.2015, 6:42 PM ET *

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

12.04.2015 | 7:15 PM ET

Ok 2 people off the list I'm positive of.

I should a played that game.

Guaranteed Northcut  has some behind the scenes ******y going on. 

Yoel might not be on it anymore but it wouldn't surpise.

Believe it or not I'm telling you aldo he wknt l get caught now.  He lookes smaller, had time to cycle his system clean.

I'm not saying all are roiding, but something.  

If they surprise test conor I'm ******* telling you he's on Coke.

I.smoked a blunt or.3 with Holloway.

Maia uses prohormones.

Doomsday was definitely using something at one point.  

Jesus who else.

Oh yeah speaking of him Chiesa sucks ***** and dongs for dox and danks.

* Edited at 12.04.2015, 7:19 PM ET *

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

12.04.2015 | 11:36 PM ET

Listen @4:20, then explain to me how you could be on EPO and not know it.....

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,448  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,978
  • Post Score: 194

12.05.2015 | 2:30 AM ET

Maybe EPO has a different acronym in Portuguese and that's why Tibau is confused.

Good time for Tibau to get caught since that Trujillo win was very questionable anyway and now it can get overturned.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

12.05.2015 | 5:37 AM ET

Franklin please find where I said any of that you dumb ****. 

You may be the dumbest person on this site. Never have I commented on effectiveness of testing. 

The comment to refresh your old foggy memory is that more guys that test positive lose their fights than win them. 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Lopati
Lopati

12.05.2015 | 5:40 AM ET

Oh and learn how to spell you fuqqen moron, Franklin

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

12.05.2015 | 4:23 PM ET

Oh please your an idiot. Just look at the nonsense you stated in this thread below.  You literrally tried argueing that Steroids are not performance enhancers. Anyone who interested please read, because it one of the most laughable arguments I have ever seen. This idiot was trying to argue that steriods are not beneficial and don't have positive impact on person athleticism who uses it.  This is just some of the nonsense he tried to argue over the years.

http://www.tapology.comwww.tapology.com/forum/bouts/150889-ufc-fight-night-51-gleison-tibau-vs-piotr-petwal-hallmann/617811-Hallmann_Tests_Positive_for_Steroids_vs_Tibau_?page=3

* Edited at 12.05.2015, 4:27 PM ET *

Lopati
Lopati

12.05.2015 | 5:21 PM ET

Well when you read that and positive testers have lost three times as many fights as they have won please prove your point of how they help you win. 

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

12.06.2015 | 9:26 AM ET

Because perhaps they wouldnt even win at all without the substance help, breaux ?

* Edited at 12.06.2015, 9:32 AM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

12.06.2015 | 10:39 AM ET

EPO is what cyclers use, it's very efficient and easier to mask. A shoe that fits perfectly with someone who's looked like the Hulk and not been caught for so long.

As Skelli said, before random testing all you needed to do was be "professional" about it (as in, use a method, don't stray from it, don't accept short notice fights, etc) and you'd pass tests with flying colours.

Nowadays, with amost everyone getting tested (at least once, with an emphasis on those who've never been tested since USADA as opposed to NSAC have absolutely no motive to "keep the show rolling") and more importantly, tested randomly in their houses, gyms it's going to get harder to hide and all these longtime abusers are going to get caught.

And as for Tibau, when you write something along the lines of "I'll have my medical staff looking into what we did wrong", you kind of lose the right to play dumb. If you're professional enough to have a medical staff and your livelihood's on the line, you don't accidentally take EPO (or any of the banned substances that are on a list you can download from your home PC) even if Dr. Rogan and Prof. Rutten said it's totally possible. You (or your paid staff) know exactly what's in everything you intake since you're livelihood is on the line and you're not going down because of a mistake. If you're just some dude who takes **** and manages his own nutrition, maybe I buy that line of defense (maybe) or at least understand how you "dare" use it. But when you claim utmost professionalism in one paragraph of your statement, when you've got teams for your weight cuts, your diet, your more or less everything for over a decade you can't turn around in the next paragraph and play dumb.

Or maybe he just borrowed some Thai penis drugs from Anderson, you never know.

* Edited at 12.06.2015, 10:41 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

12.06.2015 | 8:05 PM ET

Personally, I would learn how to draw my own blood and blood dope.

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

joking_joe
joking_joe
  • Predictions:  6,589  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  945
  • Post Score: 393

12.06.2015 | 9:23 PM ET

10 months ago:

Bloody Elbow: Why did you mention Gleison Tibau?

Andrew McInnes: He's been in the UFC for a long time, and he's a clear cut juicer. I guarantee you, his piss glows in the dark. I've been around every gym on this earth, and he's 100% a juicer. The only person I can say 100% doesn't juice is Mitch Clark. I'm sure there are others, but it's very few.

Sauce: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/11/8017855/ufc-mma-wsof-cody-mckenzie-andrew-mcinnes--ped-war-not-winnable-steroids.
Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

12.07.2015 | 5:15 PM ET

Weird you never really hear much about Mitch Clarke; but I imagine McInnes knows him well.

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : New And Improved!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video and photo gallery
  • MMAFighting.com : Kevin Holland explains why he turned down Nick Diaz to fight at UFC 302 instead
  • MMA Mania : Video! ‘Diamond’ Mobbed By Fans On Lafayette Street
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Rankings Update – June 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul reacts to Mike Tyson boxing fight postponement: 'I'm heartbroken'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 preview show: Will Dustin Poirier actually finish his story against Islam Makhachev?
  • Middle Easy : Nick Diaz’s UFC Return At 41 Labeled ‘Much More Dangerous’, Given Chance vs. Gunshy Contender
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Gambling Preview: Can Dustin Poirier pull off the upset against Islam Makhachev?
  • MMA Mania : Tyson Vs. Paul Postponed
  • MMA Junkie : Video: WWE champion Cody Rhodes cuts promo for Dustin Poirier ahead of UFC 302: 'Finish your story'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch WWE champ Cody Rhodes drop ‘Finish Your Story’ promo for Dustin Poirier at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Video! Costa Fails Bizarre Twerk Lesson
  • Middle Easy : UFC 302 Faceoffs: Dustin Poirier’s Final Stand Against Islam Makhachev: ‘The Talk Is Done’
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing fight postponed due to medical advice
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 final faceoffs: Watch Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier’s tense staredown
  • UFC.com : Mickey Gall Is Back And Better Than Ever
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 faceoff video: Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa final staredown for co-main clash
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 faceoff video: Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier meet for final time before title fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul boxing match postponed